I wonder if there is a psychology that goes into telemarketing. I am not necessarily talking about from those temps that are barely scraping by at a high-turnover job. I am talking about those that have a more professional quality where, after hanging up, you wonder how you really stayed on the phone for so long especially when you were the one who ultimately had the power to say “no” and hang up.
Well, I just got off the phone with a telemarketer trying to push a promotional. The content of the call is neither here nor there… but the concept itself sparked an idea (which is ultimately inspiring this post).
I would imagine that if there is, indeed, a psychology (or strategy) to telemarketing, the goal would be to both keep the “target” on the phone as long as possible and to steer the conversation by keeping control of the content.
This is the idea:
Given that a telemarketer’s ideal “target” is a captive audience, they themselves turn into a captive audience. What do I mean by that? Well,… as long as you are willing to stay on the line to talk with them, they are willing to stay on the line to at least try to talk.
Imagine what that means you can do in regards to evangelization:
“Hi! This is ____ to let you know that you have been selected for a VIP package that … Are you interested?”
“Thank you for calling me! First, how are you?…”
“Uhh…? I am fine… so how does that VIP jigamaroo sound?…”
“I think I may have been offered a better deal. Do you mind if I ask a few questions?”
“GO AHEAD!!”
I bet by that point you have a captive telemarketer primed up for some reversed telemarketing… evangelization-style! At the very least, you could have a lot of fun with it…
God Love You!
No comments:
Post a Comment